Daman and Diu
Daman & Diu is a union territory of India. Daman is 640Kms from Diu. For more than 450 years, Daman and Diu, Goa, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli were considered to be a part of the Portuguese India and it was only in the year 1961 that Daman and Diu and Goa were made a part of the Indian Republic by a military conquest. However Portugal did not recognize this status till 1974. Goa, Daman and Diu were considered to be a single union territory till 1987, after which Goa was separated from Daman and Diu and granted statehood. The main languages of Daman and Diu are English, Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi. Some older people also use Portuguese.
Daman is a small port in the Gulf of Cambay near Surat. It is a storehouse of culture, heritage, adventure, fun, and leisure and business tourism. There are majestic forts, historic churches, beautiful beaches and different cuisines which make a favorable holiday place.
Daman enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year. In summers, the maximum temperature shoots to 39°C. It receives average rainfall. Winters are mildly cold. One can explore Daman at any time of the year.
- By Rail – The nearest railway station is Vapi, which is 12 kms away. Vapi is well-connected to major cities through Ahmadabad and Mumbai. One can hire a taxi from Vapi .
- By Road – Daman is connected to Vapi via NH8. There are regular buses from Vapi to Surat, Mumbai and Saurashtra.
Places to Visit
- Beaches – Daman has two stunning beaches, the Devka and Jampore Beach.
- Churches – Daman has many magnificent historic churches. These are Church of Bom Jesus, Church of Our Lady of Remedies, Chapel of Our Lady of Rosary and Church of Our Lady of Angustias.
- Other Noteworthy Places include the Mirasol Resort and Water Park, the Vaibhav Water Park, the Daman Ganga Tourist Complex, the Fort of St. Jerome, the Fort of Moti Daman and the famous Light House.
- Parsi Fire Temple – It is very convenient to reach this temple in Gujarat. It is 130 Kms from Daman.
- Shirdi – Located 140 kms away from Daman is the famous Sai Baba pilgrimage site and can be reached via Nasik.
Diu is a beautiful island located towards the southern coast of the Kathiawar Peninsula of Gujarat. It is a picturesque and serene place for nature lovers. It is a much sought after tourist destination for tourists from all over the world. Also, many business visits take place on this quiet place. A special tree called the Hokka tree which is found in abundance in Diu, is found nowhere in India. A Hokka tree – Hyphaene Indica is a branching palm tree and its cute little fruit has many medicinal properties. It is found near the Nagoa Beach and is believed to be brought by the Portuguese.
Since it is located very near to the sea, the climate is temperate throughout the year. Its not very hot in the summers and winters are only mildly cold. One can visit Diu anytime during the year.
- By Rail – The nearest railway station is Veraval, which are well-connected to major cities like Ahmadabad and Rajkot.
- By Road – It is connected to Maharashtra and Gujarat, which are well-connected to all major National Highways of India.
- By Air – The airport in Diu is called Nagoa, which has daily flights to Mumbai. Mumbai is well-linked to all major cities of India via, rail, road and airways.
Places to Visit in Diu
- Beaches – There are some beautiful beaches in Diu. They are the Nagoa Beach, the Ghoghla Beach and the Jallandhar Beach.
- Gangeshwar Temple – The Gangeshwar Temple is located 3 Kms from Diu. It is devoted to Lord Shiva. According to an old legend, the pandavas used to worship Lord Shiva here. It has a beautiful cave and five shivlings, surrounded by rocks.
- Churches – Diu has some splendid old churches. These are St. Paul’s Church, St. Francis of Assisi and St. Thomas Church, which has been converted into a museum.
- Seashell Museum – It is located near the Nagoa Beach. The seashell museum was the first of its kind in the world with a collection of approximately 3000 seashells, which is the maximum in Asia.
- Diu Fort – Located on the coast of the island, the Diu Fort is a magnificent structure built between 1535-1541 AD. It is surrounded by the sea on three sides. It has a giant light house. It has beautiful stone work which makes you spell-bound.
- Water Sports – The Nagoa and the Ghoghla Beach offer the water sports facility. One can enjoy Water Scooter Riding, Parasailing and Boat sailing here. Apart from this one can also take a ride in the Evening Boat Cruise, which is available at Diu Bunder.