Situated 65Kms away from Shimla, on the Hindustan -Tibet road, in the state of Himachal Pradesh, is the town of Narkanda. It is famous for winter sports and skiing. One can get a splendid view of the snow covered peaks of the Shivalik Ranges from Narkanda. Many tourists visit this place every year. It is 16Kms from Kotgarh, which is famous for apples. The apple culture was brought to Kotgarh by Satyanand Stokes and thus helped to improve the economic situation of the area.
- By Air – The nearest airport is the Jubbarhatti Airport and it is 155 Kms away from Narkanda. Jubbarhatti Airport is connected to major cities in India. One can get a bus or a private taxi from here to Narkanda.
- By Rail – Kalka is the nearest railway station and it is 125 Kms away from Narkanda. One can take the toy train from Kalka to reach Narkanda.
- By Road – Narkanda is connected to major cities such as Shimla and New Delhi by bus. Buses to Narkanda are also available from Fagu, Kinnaur, Theog, Kufri, Rampur and Matiana.
Climate – There is temperate climate in Narkanda. Summers are pleasant while winters are extremely cold and it snows heavily. Narkanda gets moderate rainfall. The best time to visit Narkanda is from April – June.
Places to Visit
- Kacheri – Located 7 Kms away from Narkanda at a height of 1810 meters, Kacheri is famous for the ancient Mahamaya Temple.
- Hatu Peak – The Hatu Peak is 8 Kms away from Narkanda, at a height of 3300 meters. It offers a magnificent view of the Himalayan Ranges and snow covered mountains. The road to the Hatu Peak is surrounded by spruce and pine trees and one can hike to the top of the hill. The Hatu Mata temple is located on the top of the hill. One can see apple orchards, lush green fields and dense forests.
- Jallori Pass – Located 90 Kms from Narkanda, at a height of 3550 meters, going through the Sutlej Valley to Luhri, Khanag, Ani through one of the most magnificent sceneries in the Kullu Valley, is the Jallori Pass. The Sirolsar Lake is a 30 minute walk from Jallori Pass. It offers a lot of natural beauty.
- Kotgarh and Thanedhar – Kotgarh and Thanedhar are famous for apple orchards. They are located 17 Kms away on a link road diverting from Narkanda. The famous Stokes Apple Farm is located here and the best varieties are the Royal delicious, golden delicious and the red delicious apples.