Located in the Chamba District of Himachal Pradesh, about 24 Kms away from Dalhousie is a small hill station, Khajjiar, which is often referred to as the Switzerland of India. This is so because Khajjiar has similar topography as that found in Switzerland. It is 2000m above sea level. It is surrounded by thick deodar forests. Khajjiar derives its name from a 12th century temple which is devoted to Khajji Naag. One can find life size images of the Pandavas in this temple.
Summers are pleasant and one can do with some cottons and light woolens. Winters are very cold, since it often snows here. Heavy woolens must be worn during the winters. The best time to visit Khajjiar is from February – April.
How to Reach
- By Road – Khajjiar is connected to all major cities of Himachal Pradesh through the state transport corporation service. It is only 24 Kms from Dalhousie and 26Kms away from Chamba.
- By Train – Pathankot is the nearest railway station and one can hire a taxi or take a bus from there. Khajjiar is 120Kms away from Pathankot.
- By Air – The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport in Kangra and it is 180 Kms away. One can hire a taxi from here.
Places to Visit
- Golden Devi Temple – The Golden Devi Temple is located in the centre of the golf course and is adorned with a golden dome. It adds to the scenic beauty.
- Khajjiar Lake – The Khajjiar Lake is an ideal picnic spot, since it is only 20 kms away from Dalhousie and is surrounded by cedar forests. It is at a height of 1950 meters above sea level.
- Khajji Nag – This ancient temple is devoted to Khajji Nag and is considered very sacred by the local people. This temple was constructed in the 12th century and it has been decorated with wood carvings beautifully. The mandapa of the temple is something one just can’t miss. It displays the figures of the victorious Pandavas and the Kauravas who were defeated are seen hanging from the ceiling.
Things to Do
- Zorbing – This is a new sport which is gaining lot of popularity in India nowadays. The huge slopes of Khajjiar are best suited for Zorbing.
- Trekking – There are various valleys in Khajjiar that are suitable for trekking. There are many breath-taking views, which can be seen only through trekking trips.